• Cox's Bazar
  • Monday, 20 September, 2021

Eight died and Hundreds injured in Rohingya camp internal clashes

Cox Gazette | Online Desk October 8, 2020, 10:27 AM Eight died and Hundreds injured in Rohingya camp internal clashes

Eight people including one Bangladeshi have died so far. Clashes over dominance between two groups at the Kutupalong Rohingya camp in Ukhiya, Cox's Bazar, have been continuing for the past week. 

There were intermittent shootings and clashes throughout the day on Wednesday as well. At least 50 people were injured in the clashes. 

Law enforcers are working to stop the ongoing clashes between the two factions.

Chittagong Range DIG Md Anwar Hossain visited the Rohingya camp to observe the situation. During this time he had a meeting with the law enforcement forces regarding the situation in the camp. 

So far, eight Rohingyas including one Bangladeshi have died in the clashes.

Tensions in the camp escalated after four people were killed simultaneously on Tuesday night. This incident resulted in public shootings between the two sides since Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday morning, people from the Munna group came to the registered Rohingya camp and opened fire in public, causing panic.

Hafeez Md Jalal Ahmed, chairman (Rohingya leader) of the Kutupalong Rohingya camp, said: “There has been a long-running dispute with the Munna Group and the Anas forces over the Yaba distribution and area-based dominance. 

“However, since October 4, there have been public clashes with gunfire which has created fear among the Rohingyas.”

A Rohingya woman, Soma Akhter said: “The Munna group has been attacking the registered Rohingya camps intermittently since the morning. Hundreds of Rohingya women, men and children have been injured in the attack. Fearing the Munna Group, more than a thousand Rohingya men, women and children have taken refuge in the Rohingya camp in-charge’s office.”

Meanwhile, APBn members, police, Ansar and army intensified patrols in the camp as tensions continued to rise from the morning. Police arrested four Rohingya terrorists from the spot.

Speaking to journalists DIG Md Anwar Hossain said: “The situation was calm despite tensions escalating after four people were killed in a clash between two sides at a Rohingya camp on Tuesday. 

“Law enforcement patrols inside the camp have been increased. The situation is normal now. Further steps will be taken depending on the situation.”

A Bangladeshi named Nurul Huda was among the four people killed Tuesday. Their bodies have been sent to Cox's Bazar District Hospital morgue for autopsy.

More than 1.1 million Rohingyas have entered Bangladesh since August 25, 2016 in fear of the ongoing brutality by the Myanmar army in Rakhine. For a  year the situation in the camps remained calm, but the crime rate continues to rise with the passage of time.

Side banner